HISTORY OF TRING CORINTHIANS A.F.C.
Tring Corinthians football Club was formed in 1956 by Fred Evans who worked at the local bus station and Tug Wilson, Headmaster of Osmington boarding school, at the time he was heavily involved with Chesham Utd and was the first President of the club. The reason for forming the club was to provide football for local players who could not get a game with Tring Town FC. Most of the original players came from Tring Town. The club approached the Aylesbury and District League and were accepted with the first season played in Division Two.
Tring Corinthians original ground was situated in
Beaconsfield Rd, Tring. The conditions were pretty basic with the changing rooms being an old railway carriage with no facilities, water was fetched from the end bungalow in Beaconsfield Rd.At first Fred Evans selected the team, but in 1958 the Corries expanded to a first and reserve teams so a selection committee was formed to pick the teams.
The committee would meet on Monday evenings at the Kings Arms, players would wait in the bar to see the teams posted on the notice board. When the pub
changed hands the club moved to the George Hotel in the High St. when it closed down the club moved to the Royal British Legion until it purchased its own ground.In the late sixties the club moved to Mortimer Hill School using the pitch adjacent to the allotments. Corries moved for the third in 1975 to Pound Meadow until 1984 when they moved to their current home in Icknield Way.
In 1981 a tender for the purchase of the ground in
Icknield Way was accepted by local estate agents
Brown and Merry, this was arable farm land with a small grain store in one corner, later converted into the clubhouse. A lot of hard work and fund raising by the clubs committee and members was put into the new ground until the teams were able to play there from late summer 1984.
During the late 1990’s the club suffered a number of
break ins which at one point nearly forced the club to close, thanks to a few loyal members the club kept going and in 2000 expanded to four teams entering a youth league for the first time.
In the summer of 2004 the club took a new direction with a different approach on the pitch and finished runners up in the Aylesbury and District League that season. In 2005 the club applied to the Spartan South Midlands League to play in Division Two and were accepted after building new changing rooms and extending the pitch.
The First team finished a creditable fourth in its first
season and repeated the feat a year late