Founded in 1896 and now in our 125th season, Shalford F.C. is the oldest football club in Guildford. Originally based in the village, the club started-out playing its ‘home’ fixtures in the grounds of the old village hall on a pitch adjacent to the railway line. Records show that this old wooden building, affectionately known as 'The Institute' was in almost constant use by a variety of local clubs and societies throughout the early 1900's although there appears to have been very little agreement as to which of these groups should bear the cost of the upkeep and repairs!
During WW2, this increasingly dilapidated and vacant structure was finally demolished and the whole site was converted into allotments, prompting the football club to move to a newly-created pitch on Shalford Common.
In 1950, a new wooden pavilion was erected on the village green on behalf of a prominent local family as a memorial to their son who had tragically died, aged just 5 years-old. The new pavilion, now a Grade II listed building, was provided for the exclusive use of the local cricket and football teams and it would become the club's home for the next 56 years.
Following its promotion to County-level football in the early 2000's, the club was obliged to relocate again, this time in order to meet the FA's ground-grading requirements for sides playing at 'intermediate' standard. A move to the main pitch at Shalford Park was finally completed in 2006, the culmination of a 4-year project, carried-out in partnership with Guildford Borough Council, to find a new home for the club.
Shalford F.C. was a founding member of the Tillingbourne Valley League in the early 1900s and following the introduction of shorter working weeks and the development of better local transport links, it went on to join the Guildford & District League upon its formation in 1923.
The club joined the newly-established Guildford & Woking Alliance League in 1995 and after a successful spell in the Surrey County Intermediate League (Western), it returned to the competition in 2015.